Water damage anywhere in the house can be an expensive ordeal. Because it is the central room for many families, however, water damage in the kitchen can be a particular headache. Fortunately, there are preventative steps that you can take to help avoid water damage in the kitchen. Lone Star Pro Services is also available to help in Houston, TX if you should require water damage restoration in your home.
Prevention is key
There are a few simple steps you can take to protect your house from water damage.
- Inspect all water hose connections to make sure that they’re snug.
- Look for wet spots that can be a sign of a loose connection or a pipe threatening to burst.
- If you have a dishwasher, check the hose for leaks.
- Check and clean the refrigerator drip pan and icemaker connections. Also, make sure that the float switch in the dishwasher is clean and not corroded.
- Inspect traps and drains under the sink. Discolored or warped flooring materials or damaged cabinets are signs of leaks around the base of the sink.
- Make sure drains are clear.
You can check all these issues yourself, but if you’re unsure or would like a second opinion, don’t hesitate to call the professionals at Lone Star Pro Services. They are available in Houston, TX to make sure that small problems don’t grow into big ones.
Have a plan
The unexpected can always happen, no matter how careful you are, unfortunately. Every minute counts when it comes to water damage, so it’s important and incredibly helpful to have a plan. First, it’s important to know where the main water valve of your home is located. In case of emergency (such as a broken appliance or busted pipe), you will need to shut off the main water supply to the home as quickly as possible. If a supply valve, which connects to specific appliances, is easier to reach, you can turn this off first, but the main line should be turned off as well. Educate other family members as to where these valves are located.
Avoid walking through the flood water, which may be contaminated or conducting electricity if electrical outlets or equipment have become exposed to water. Get pets and people out of the house immediately and contact the team at Lone Star Pro Services to come in and handle the flooding. They will be able to restore your kitchen in Houston, TX quickly to allow you to enjoy your home again.