If you are a proud parent—or pet owner—you may know more than most that keeping your carpets free of stains can be quite difficult. From spilled food and drinks to common pet stains, a carpet can gather multiple stains pretty quickly. And if you have lighter colored carpet, stains may be the last thing you want to see.
Carpet Cleaning Tips
Do you have a new stain on your carpet? Here are 8 easy do-it-yourself carpet cleaning tips to be rid of those common household stains, fast:
- General, Light Carpet Stains – Mix half a cup of white vinegar with 2 tablespoons of salt. Rub some of the solutions onto the stain with a clean, white cloth and let it dry. Afterward, vacuum the remaining salt particles. For larger, darker carpet stains, add in 2 tablespoons of borax to the above mixture.
- Ground-in Dirt and Tough Stains – Mix a tablespoon of vinegar with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Apply it to the dirt/stain with a dry, clean white cloth. Let the solution sit on the stain for roughly 48 hours, then vacuum. Club soda also works too!
- Paint – Make sure you remove as much paint as you can with a sponge as soon as you notice the spill. Then, mix 1 ½ teaspoon of vinegar with 1 ½ teaspoon of laundry detergent and 2 cups of water and apply the solution to the remaining stain. Rinse with cold water.
- Fruit and fruit juice stains – Create a solution with 1 tablespoon of laundry detergent with 1 ½ tablespoon white vinegar and 2 cups of water. Apply the solution to the stain and blot with a clean, white cloth. You can also use shaving cream to remove juice stains!
- Coffee and tea stains – Mix equal parts water and white vinegar and blot the stain with a clean white cloth. Club soda on these stains works just as easily, too.
- Grease/oil stains – Apply shaving cream directly to the stain, let it dry, and then remove the shaving cream by rubbing with a damp soft cloth. You can also use cornstarch alone as a way to soak up fresh grease stains.
- Ink stains – Mix a small amount of milk with cornstarch to make a paste. Apply the mixture to the ink stain. Let it dry over the stain for a few hours, then brush off the residue and vacuum.
- Pet stains – Wipe up what you’re able to, then pour baking soda over the stain. Pat the area with a paper towel. Let the baking soda dry over the stain and then vacuum.
Benefits of Routine Professional Carpet Cleaning
By following the above tips, you can help reduce the severity of a stain, or even completely eliminate it! In addition to these tips, be sure to call our specialized technicians at Lone Star Pro Services to perform a routine professional carpet cleaning. Our thorough cleaning will also help reduce and eliminate carpet stains, both new and old.
Call Lone Star Pro Services today at (832) 990-9499 or contact us online to schedule a carpet cleaning service in Houston!